Monday, March 14, 2016

Mission Conference, Thoughts on the Book of Mormon

I really appreciate your support and prayers. These last few months I've learned so much, it's like I've finally opened my eyes to read what the scriptures are telling me. And yet so much of my mission is left, it makes me excited to keep moving on and learning more! I'm so excited for general conference in a few weeks.

Wow the time really is going by fast here! It's still pretty hot here too. I think the strongest heat is over but it's not supposed to start cooling off until April or even May. I laugh a little when I remember that I brought my big poofy Columbia coat.

We had a visit from Elder Robbins, from the presidency of the Seventy I'm pretty sure, this last Thursday, so we all got up super early to go to La Molina, where the CCM (Lima MTC) is. The capilla next door is grandazo! One of the coolest things ever was hear the piano way up front start playing the introduction to the opening hymn and all of a sudden 500 elders start singing. I was a little startled but I felt the Spirit so strong. That's somethings I've noticed on my mission; I really feel the Spirit when I listen or sing hymns. But Elder Robbins spoke about the importance of obedience, and why we should be obedient. I got to see my old companion too which was nice.

I've been reading in Ether this week, and I was thinking for a little while about why we have the book of Ether. Because up to this point, the whole Book of Mormon is chronological right? Why jump back to talk about the Jaredites? I haven't quite figured that out yet, but I've found a lot of good verses that I like. Maybe that's why Moroni included it...

Anyways in Ether 4:12 I thought it was really interesting when it talks about accepting the words of Christ
12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.
It made me think, the Book of Mormon is the word of Christ, so if people won't believe that, how are they going to believe Christ Himself when He comes? As I thought about that, it brought a new light to my calling, that I need to help people to receive the Book of Mormon so that they can accept and come unto Christ.

Love you guys, hope you have a great week!

Elder Evan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment